Republic Day marks an important event in the history of free India. This year, in 2023, India will observe the 74th Republic Day. The nation is beaming with patriotic fervor as we look forward to celebrating a happy Republic day.
On the 26th of January every year, the government of India organizes a grand ceremony. The ceremonial event includes graceful parades by armed officials and civilians, cultural programs, and many more. With extravagant cultural programs and graceful parades by civilians and armed officials, the sight is worth beholding.
Why Republic Day is celebrated?
The history behind Republic day celebrations dates back to 1950. On 26 Nov 1949, the Indian Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution of India. However, it came into effect with a democratic government system a year later—on January 26, 1950.
Therefore, it was on this day that the Indian Constitution came into existence.
What is the significance of Republic Day?
The Constitution of India is the major empowering and governing body for the constituent as well as the general public. It is the major document that states the principles, powers, duties, and fundamental rights of the government and citizens.
Republic Day commemorates the process of the establishment of the Indian constitution.
What events make the Republic Day celebrations a grand ceremony?
Every year on 26 January, the President of India addresses the nation with a rather graceful republic day speech. To date, the prominent Indian freedom fighters have delivered some of the most iconic Republic day speeches.
Jawaharlal Nehru’s ‘Tryst with Destiny’, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s ‘Give me blood and I will give you freedom’, and Bal Gangadhar Tilak’s ‘Swaraj is my Birthright’ are the most famous and motivational Republic day speeches. The quote from Nehru’s speech, “At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom,” has been abundantly referred to by popular writers and novelists in their pieces of literature.
What is the series of events of Republic Day celebrations?
Every year, the Republic day celebrations are organized with grandeur and utmost grace. The ceremony is organized at the India gate, followed by various other events.
- It begins with the Prime Minister laying a floral wreath at Amar Jyoti Jawan. The Amar Jyoti Jawan is an Indian memorial constructed after the Indo-Pak War of 1971 to commemorate the martyred soldiers.
- President, with his bodyguards, proceeds to the parade ground in Red Fort located in the center of Delhi.
- The President unfurls the Tiranga (the Tricolor national flag of India), with the National Anthem playing in the background and followed by a 21-gun salute as he renders the National Salute.
- Prestigious and high-civilian awards are bestowed on people. These include the Kirti Chakra, Ashoka Chakra, National Bravery Award, and others.
- The three forces—Army, Navy, and Air Force—pay homage and salute to the Commander in Chief, the President.
- A broadcast of lots of union ministries and state enterprises takes place in the grand parade.
- The parade conventionally ends with a dare-devil motorcycle ride by motorcycle units of the Armed Forces by the Indian Air Force jets and helicopters.
- The Republic Day festivities are concluded with the Beating Retreat Ceremony.
“For the eve of the Republic Day parade on 26 January 2022, 12 states and Union territories and nine ministries and departments have been selected to showcase their tableaux. These include Arunachal Pradesh, Haryana, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Karnataka, Meghalaya, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, and Uttarakhand.” Republic day holds seminal significance for each and every citizen of the nation. Every citizen is expecting a grand and happy Republic day celebration this year since several restrictions have been imposed in view of the pandemic.
Also Read: 15 Inspiring Republic Day Quotes